40 CFR 80.1106 - To whom does the Renewable Volume Obligation apply?
(a) (1) An obligated party is a refiner that produces gasoline within the 48 contiguous states, or an importer that imports gasoline into the 48 contiguous states. A party that simply adds renewable fuel to gasoline, as defined in § 80.1107(c), is not an obligated party.
(2) If the Administrator approves a petition of Alaska, Hawaii, or a United States territory to opt-in to the renewable fuel program under the provisions in § 80.1143, then “obligated party” shall also include any refiner that produces gasoline within that state or territory, or any importer that imports gasoline into that state or territory.
(3) For the purposes of this section, “gasoline” refers to any and all of the products specified at § 80.1107(c).
(b) For each compliance period starting with 2007, any obligated party is required to demonstrate, pursuant to § 80.1127, that it has satisfied the Renewable Volume Obligation for that compliance period, as specified in § 80.1107(a).
(e) An obligated party that is both a refiner and importer must comply with the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section for its imported gasoline separately from gasoline produced by its refinery or refineries.
(f) Where a refinery or importer is jointly owned by two or more parties, the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section may be met by one of the joint owners for all of the gasoline produced at the refinery, or all of the imported gasoline, in the aggregate, or each party may meet the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section for the portion of the gasoline that it owns, as long as all of the gasoline produced at the refinery, or all of the imported gasoline, is accounted for in determining the renewable fuels obligation under § 80.1107.
(g) The requirements in paragraph (b) of this section apply to the following compliance periods:
(1) For 2007, the compliance period is September 1 through December 31.
(2) Beginning in 2008, and every year thereafter, the compliance period is January 1 through December 31.
- 40 CFR 80.1143 — What Are the Opt-In Provisions for Noncontiguous States and Territories?
- 40 CFR 80.1151 — What Are the Recordkeeping Requirements Under the RFS Program?
- 40 CFR 80.1164 — What Are the Attest Engagement Requirements Under the RFS Program?
- 40 CFR 80.1150 — What Are the Registration Requirements Under the RFS Program?
- 40 CFR 80.1152 — What Are the Reporting Requirements Under the RFS Program?
- 40 CFR 80.1129 — Requirements for Separating RINs From Volumes of Renewable Fuel.