40 CFR 80.1128 - General requirements for RIN distribution.
(a) RINs assigned to volumes of renewable fuel.
(1) Assigned RIN, for the purposes of this subpart, means a RIN assigned to a volume of renewable fuel pursuant to § 80.1126(e) with a K code of 1.
(2) Except as provided in § 80.1126(e)(4) and § 80.1129, no party can separate a RIN that has been assigned to a batch pursuant to § 80.1126(e).
(3) An assigned RIN cannot be transferred to another party without simultaneously transferring a volume of renewable fuel to that same party.
(4) No more than 2.5 assigned gallon-RINs with a K code of 1 can be transferred to another party with every gallon of renewable fuel transferred to that same party.
(i) On each of the dates listed in paragraph (a)(5)(v) of this section in any calendar year, the following equation must be satisfied for assigned RINs and volumes of renewable fuel owned by a party:
(ii) The equivalence value EVi for use in the equation in paragraph (a)(5)(i) of this section for any volume of renewable fuel shall be 2.5.
(iii) The applicable dates are March 31, June 30, September 30, and December 31. For 2007 only, the applicable dates are September 30 and December 31.
(6) Any transfer of ownership of assigned RINs must be documented on product transfer documents generated pursuant to § 80.1153.
(i) The RIN must be recorded on the product transfer document used to transfer ownership of the RIN and the volume to another party; or
(ii) The RIN must be recorded on a separate product transfer document transferred to the same party on the same day as the product transfer document used to transfer ownership of the volume of renewable fuel.
(b) RINs not assigned to volumes of renewable fuel.
(1) Unassigned RIN, for the purposes of this subpart, means a RIN with a K code of 2 that has been separated from a volume of renewable fuel pursuant to § 80.1126(e)(4) or § 80.1129.
(2) Any party that has registered pursuant to § 80.1150 can hold title to an unassigned RIN.
(3) Unassigned RINs can be transferred from one party to another any number of times.
(4) An unassigned batch-RIN can be divided by its holder into multiple batch-RINs, each representing a smaller number of gallon-RINs, if all of the following conditions are met:
(i) All RIN components other than SSSSSSSS and EEEEEEEE are identical for the original parent and newly formed daughter RINs.
(ii) The sum of the gallon-RINs associated with the multiple daughter batch-RINs is equal to the gallon-RINs associated with the parent batch-RIN.
Title 40 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 80 after this date.