40 CFR 80.1129 - Requirements for separating RINs from volumes of renewable fuel.
(1) Except as provided in paragraphs (b)(6) and (b)(8) of this section, a party that is an obligated party according to § 80.1106 must separate any RINs that have been assigned to a volume of renewable fuel if they own that volume.
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (b)(5) of this section, any party that owns a volume of renewable fuel must separate any RINs that have been assigned to that volume once the volume is blended with gasoline or diesel to produce a motor vehicle fuel. A party may separate up to 2.5 RINs per gallon of fuel that is blended.
(4) Any party that produces, imports, owns, sells or uses a volume of neat renewable fuel may separate any RINs that have been assigned to that volume of neat renewable fuel if the party designates the neat renewable fuel as motor vehicle fuel, and the neat renewable fuel is used as a motor vehicle fuel.
(5) RINs assigned to a volume of biodiesel (mono-alkyl ester) can only be separated from that volume pursuant to paragraph (b)(2) of this section if such biodiesel is blended into diesel fuel at a concentration of 80 volume percent biodiesel (mono-alkyl ester) or less.
(i) This paragraph (b)(5) shall not apply to obligated parties or exporters of renewable fuel.
(ii) This paragraph (b)(5) shall not apply to any party meeting the requirements of paragraph (b)(4) of this section.
(6) For RINs that an obligated party generates from renewable fuel that has not been blended into gasoline, the obligated party can only separate such RINs from volumes of renewable fuel if the number of gallon-RINs separated is less than or equal to its annual RVO.
(8) For a party that has received a small refinery exemption under § 80.1141 or a small refiner exemption under § 80.1142, and who is not otherwise an obligated party, during the period of time that the small refinery or small refiner exemption is in effect the party may only separate RINs that have been assigned to volumes of renewable fuel that the party blends into motor vehicle fuel in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section.
(e) Any obligated party that uses a renewable fuel in a boiler or heater must retire any RINs associated with that volume of renewable fuel and report the retired RINs in the applicable reports under § 80.1152.
- 40 CFR 80.1429 — Requirements for Separating RINs From Volumes of Renewable Fuel.
- 40 CFR 80.1128 — General Requirements for RIN Distribution.
- 40 CFR 80.1125 — Renewable Identification Numbers (RINs).
- 40 CFR 80.1152 — What Are the Reporting Requirements Under the RFS Program?
- 40 CFR 80.1427 — How Are RINs Used to Demonstrate Compliance?