Beta! The text on the eCFR tab represents the unofficial eCFR text at ecfr.gov.
§ 80.1131 Treatment of invalid RINs.
(a)Invalid RINs. An invalid RIN is a RIN that is any of the following:
(1) Is a duplicate of a valid RIN.
(2) Was based on volumes that have not been standardized to 60 °F.
(3) Has expired.
(4) Was based on an incorrect equivalence value.
(5) Is deemed invalid under § 80.1167(g).
(6) Does not represent renewable fuel as it is defined in § 80.1101.
(7) Was otherwise improperly generated.
(8) In the event that the same RIN is transferred to two or more parties, all such RINs will be deemed to be invalid, unless EPA in its sole discretion determines that some portion of these RINs is valid.
(b) In the case of RINs that are invalid, the following provisions apply:
(1) Invalid RINs cannot be used to achieve compliance with the Renewable Volume Obligation of an obligated party or exporter, regardless of the party's good faith belief that the RINs were valid at the time they were acquired.
(2) Upon determination by any party that RINs owned are invalid, the party must adjust their records, reports, and compliance calculations as necessary to reflect the deletion of the invalid RINs.
(3) Any valid RINs remaining after deleting invalid RINs must first be applied to correct the transfer of invalid RINs to another party before applying the valid RINs to meet the party's Renewable Volume Obligation at the end of the compliance year.