40 CFR 80.1131 - Treatment of invalid RINs.
(1) Is a duplicate of a valid RIN.
(2) Was based on volumes that have not been standardized to 60 °F.
(3) Has expired.
(4) Was based on an incorrect equivalence value.
(5) Is deemed invalid under § 80.1167(g).
(7) Was otherwise improperly generated.
(8) In the event that the same RIN is transferred to two or more parties, all such RINs will be deemed to be invalid, unless EPA in its sole discretion determines that some portion of these RINs is valid.
(b) In the case of RINs that are invalid, the following provisions apply:
(1) Invalid RINs cannot be used to achieve compliance with the Renewable Volume Obligation of an obligated party or exporter, regardless of the party's good faith belief that the RINs were valid at the time they were acquired.
(3) Any valid RINs remaining after deleting invalid RINs must first be applied to correct the transfer of invalid RINs to another party before applying the valid RINs to meet the party's Renewable Volume Obligation at the end of the compliance year.