40 CFR 80.60 - Test fleet requirements for exhaust emission testing.
(a) Candidate vehicles which conform to the emission performance requirements defined in paragraphs (b) through (d) of this section shall be obtained directly from the in-use fleet and tested in their as-received condition.
(b) Candidate vehicles for the test fleet must be screened for their exhaust VOC emissions in accordance with the provisions in § 80.62.
(c) On the basis of pretesting pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section, the test fleet shall be subdivided into two emitter group sub-fleets: the normal emitter group and the higher emitter group.
(1) Each vehicle with an exhaust total hydrocarbon (THC) emissions rate which is less than or equal to twice the applicable emissions standard shall be placed in the normal emitter group.
(2) Each vehicle with an exhaust THC emissions rate which is greater than two times the applicable emissions standard shall be placed in the higher emitter group.
(d) The test vehicles in each emitter group must conform to the requirements of paragraphs (d)(1) through (4) of this section.
(1) Test vehicles for the normal emitter sub-fleet must be selected from the list shown in this paragraph (d)(1). This list is arranged in order of descending vehicle priority, such that the order in which vehicles are added to the normal emitter sub-fleet must conform to the order shown (e.g., a ten-vehicle normal emitter group sub-fleet must consist of the first ten vehicles listed in this paragraph (d)(1)). If more vehicles are tested than the minimum number of vehicles required for the normal emitter sub-fleet, additional vehicles are to be added to the fleet in the order specified in this paragraph (d)(1), beginning with the next vehicle not already included in the group. The vehicles in the normal emitter sub-fleet must possess the characteristics indicated in the list. If the end of the list is reached in adding vehicles to the normal emitter sub-fleet and additional vehicles are desired then they shall be added beginning with vehicle number one, and must be added to the normal emitter sub-fleet in accordance with the order in table A:
Table A - Test Fleet Definitions
|Veh. No.||Fuel system||Catalyst||Air injection||EGR||Tech. group||Manufacturer|
|2||Multi||3W||No Air||No EGR||2||Ford.|
|6||Multi||3W||No Air||No EGR||2||GM.|
|12||Multi||3W||No Air||No EGR||2||Chrysler.|
|17||Multi||3W||No Air||No EGR||2||Mazda.|
Table B - Tech Group Definitions in Table A
|Tech group||Fuel system||Catalyst||Air injection||EGR|
|2||Multi||3W||No Air||No EGR.|
|8||TBI||3W||No Air||No EGR.|
(2) Test vehicles for the higher emitter sub-fleet shall be selected from the in-use fleet in accordance with paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section and with § 80.59. Test vehicles for the higher emitter sub-fleet are not required to follow the pattern established in paragraph (d)(1) of this section.
(3) The minimum test fleet size is 20 vehicles. Half of the vehicles tested must be included in the normal emitter sub-fleet and half of the vehicles tested must be in the higher emitter sub-fleet. If additional vehicles are tested beyond the minimum of twenty vehicles, the additional vehicles shall be distributed equally between the normal and higher emitter sub-fleets.
(4) For each emitter group sub-fleet, 70 ±9.5% of the sub-fleet must be LDVs, & 30 ±9.5% must be LDTs. LDTs include light-duty trucks class 1 (LDT1), and light-duty trucks class 2 (LDT2) up to 8500 lbs GVWR.
Title 40 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 80 after this date.