40 CFR 90.122 - Amending the application and certificate of conformity.
(a) The engine manufacturer must notify the Administrator when either an engine is to be added to a certificate of conformity, an FEL is to be changed, or changes are to be made to a product line covered by a certificate of conformity. Notification occurs when the manufacturer submits an amendment to the original application prior to either producing such engines or making such changes to a product line.
(b) The amendment must request that the engine manufacturer's existing certificate of conformity be amended and include the following information:
(1) A full description of the engine to be added or the change(s) to be made in production;
(2) The manufacturer's proposed test engine selection(s); and
(3) Engineering evaluations or reasons why the original test engine is or is not still appropriate.
(c) The Administrator may require the engine manufacturer to perform tests on an engine representing the engine to be added or changed.
(d) Decision by Administrator. (1) Based on the submitted amendment and data derived from such testing as the Administrator may require or conduct, the Administrator must determine whether the proposed addition or change would still be covered by the certificate of conformity then in effect.
(2) If the Administrator determines that the new or changed engine(s) meets the requirements of this subpart and the Act, the appropriate certificate of conformity will be amended.
(3) If the Administrator determines that the proposed amendment would not be covered by the certificate of conformity, the Administrator must provide a written explanation to the engine manufacturer of his or her decision not to amend the certificate. The manufacturer may request a hearing on a denial.
(4) If the Administrator determines that a revised FEL meets the requirements of this subpart and the Act, the appropriate certificate of conformity will be amended, or a new certificate will be issued to reflect the revised FEL. The certificate of conformity is revised conditional upon compliance with § 90.207(b).
(1) Alternatively, an engine manufacturer may make changes in or additions to production engines concurrently with amending the application for an engine family as set forth in paragraph (a) and (b) of this section. In these circumstances the manufacturer may implement the production change without EPA pre-approval provided the request for change together with all supporting emission test data, related engineering evaluations, and other supporting documentation is received at EPA within three working days of implementing the change. Such changes are ultimately still subject to the provisions of paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section.
(2) If, after a review, the Administrator determines that additional testing or information is required, the engine manufacturer must provide required test data or information within 30 days or cease production of the affected engines.
(3) If the Administrator determines that the affected engines do not meet applicable requirements, the Administrator will notify the engine manufacturer to cease production of the affected engines.