40 CFR 90.604 - General requirements.
(a) A nonconforming engine offered for importation into the United States may only be imported for purposes other than resale under § 90.611, or under the provisions of § 90.612, provided that an exemption or exclusion is granted by the Administrator.
(b) Final admission shall not be granted unless:
(1) The engine is imported for purposes other than resale under § 90.611; or
(2) The engine is exempted or excluded under § 90.612.
(c) An engine offered for importation may be admitted into the United States. In order to obtain admission, the importer must submit to the Administrator a written request for approval containing the following:
(1) Identification of the importer and the importer's address, telephone number, and taxpayer identification number;
(2) Identification of the engine owner, the owner's address, telephone number, and taxpayer identification number;
(3) Identification of the engine including make, model, identification number, and original production year;
(4) Information indicating under what provision of these regulations the engine is to be imported;
(5) Identification of the place where the subject engine is to be stored until EPA approval of the importer's application to the Administrator for final admission;
(6) Authorization for EPA enforcement officers to conduct inspections or testing otherwise permitted by the Act or regulations thereunder; and
(7) Such other information as is deemed necessary by the Administrator.