40 CFR 90.804 - Voluntary emissions recall.
(a) When any manufacturer initiates a voluntary emissions recall campaign involving 25 or more engines, the manufacturer must submit a report describing the manufacturer's voluntary emissions recall plan as prescribed by this section within 15 working days of the date owner notification was begun. The report must contain the following:
(1) A description of each class or category of engines recalled including the number of engines to be recalled, the model year, the make, the model, and such other information as may be required to identify the engines recalled;
(2) A description of the specific modifications, alterations, repairs, corrections, adjustments, or other changes to be made to correct the engines affected by the emission-related defect;
(3) A description of the method by which the manufacturer will notify engine owners and, if applicable, the method by which the manufacturer will determine the names and addresses of engine owners;
(4) A description of the proper maintenance or use, if any, upon which the manufacturer conditions eligibility for repair under the recall plan, an explanation of the manufacturer's reasons for imposing any such conditions, and a description of the proof to be required of an engine owner to demonstrate compliance with any such conditions;
(5) A description of the procedure to be followed by engine owners to obtain correction of the nonconformity. This may include designation of the date on or after which the owner can have the nonconformity remedied, the time reasonably necessary to perform the labor to remedy the defect, and the designation of facilities at which the defect can be remedied;
(6) A description of the class of persons other than dealers and authorized warranty agents of the manufacturer who will remedy the defect;
(8) A description of the system by which the manufacturer will assure that an adequate supply of parts is available to perform the repair under the plan, and that the supply remains both adequate and responsive to owner demand;
(9) Three copies of all necessary instructions to be sent to those persons who are to perform the repair under the recall plan;
(10) A description of the impact of the proposed changes on fuel consumption, performance, and safety of each class or category of engines to be recalled;
(11) A sample of any label to be applied to engines which participated in the voluntary recall campaign.
(b) The manufacturer must submit at least one report on the progress of the recall campaign. Such report must be submitted no later than 18 months from the date notification was begun and include the following information:
(1) The methods used to notify both engine owners, dealers and other individuals involved in the recall campaign;
(2) The number of engines known or estimated to be affected by the emission-related defect and an explanation of the means by which this number was determined;
Title 40 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.