40 CFR 92.211 - Emission-related maintenance instructions for purchasers.
(a) The manufacturer or remanufacturer shall furnish or cause to be furnished to the ultimate purchaser or owner of each new locomotive, or new locomotive engine, subject to the standards prescribed in § 92.8, written instructions for the proper maintenance and use of the locomotive, or locomotive engine, as are reasonable and necessary to assure the proper functioning of the emissions control system, consistent with the applicable provisions of paragraph (b) of this section.
(1) The maintenance and use instructions required by this section shall be clear and easily understandable.
(2) The maintenance instructions required by this section shall contain a general description of the documentation which would demonstrate that the ultimate purchaser or any subsequent owner had complied with the instructions.
(1) The manufacturer or remanufacturer must provide in boldface type on the first page of the written maintenance instructions notice that maintenance, replacement, or repair of the emission control devices and systems may be performed by any locomotive or locomotive engine repair establishment or individual.
(2) The instructions under paragraph (b)(1) of this section will not include any condition on the ultimate purchaser's or owner's using, in connection with such locomotive or locomotive engine, any component or service (other than a component or service provided without charge under the terms of the purchase agreement) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name. Such instructions also will not directly or indirectly distinguish between service performed by any other service establishments with which such manufacturer or remanufacturer has a commercial relationship and service performed by independent locomotive or locomotive engine repair facilities which such manufacturer or remanufacturer has no commercial relationship.
(3) The prohibition of paragraph (b)(2) of this section may be waived by the Administrator if:
(i) The manufacturer or remanufacturer satisfies the Administrator that the locomotive or locomotive engine will function properly only if the component or service so identified is used in connection with such locomotive or locomotive engine; and
(ii) The Administrator finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.
(c) The manufacturer or remanufacturer shall provide to the Administrator, no later than the time of the submission required by § 92.203, a copy of the emission-related maintenance instructions which the manufacturer or remanufacturer proposes to supply to the ultimate purchaser or owner in accordance with this section. The Administrator will review such instructions to determine whether they are reasonable and necessary to assure the proper functioning of the locomotive's, or locomotive engine's emission control systems. If the Administrator determines that such instructions are not reasonable and necessary to assure the proper functioning of the emission control systems, he/she may disapprove the application for certification, or may require that the manufacturer or remanufacturer modify the instructions.
(d) Any revision to the maintenance instructions which will affect emissions shall be supplied to the Administrator at least 30 days before being supplied to the ultimate purchaser or owner unless the Administrator consents to a lesser period of time, and is subject to the provisions of § 92.210.