40 CFR 92.403 - Emission defect information report.
(a) A manufacturer or remanufacturer must file a defect information report whenever it determines, in accordance with procedures it established to identify either safety-related or performance defects, (or based on other information) that a specific emission-related defect exists in ten or more locomotives or locomotive engines. No report must be filed under this paragraph for any emission-related defect corrected prior to the sale, or reintroduction into service of a remanufactured locomotive or locomotive engine, of the affected locomotives or locomotive engines to an ultimate purchaser.
(b) Defect information reports required under paragraph (a) of this section must be submitted not more than 15 working days after the same emission-related defect is found to affect 10 or more locomotives or locomotive engines. Information required by paragraph (c) of this section that is either not available within 15 working days or is significantly revised must be submitted as it becomes available.
(c) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, each defect report must contain the following information in substantially the format outlined as follows:
(1) The manufacturer's or remanufacturer's corporate name.
(2) A description of the defect.
(3) A description of each class or category of locomotives or locomotive engines potentially affected by the defect including make, model, calendar year produced, purchaser (or owner) and any other information as may be required to identify the locomotives or locomotive engines affected.
(4) For each class or category of locomotives and locomotive engines described in response to paragraph (c)(3) of this section, the following shall also be provided:
(i) The number of locomotives and/or locomotive engines known or estimated to have the defect and an explanation of the means by which this number was determined.
(ii) The address of the plant(s) at which the potentially defective locomotives or locomotive engines were produced.
(5) An evaluation of the emissions impact of the defect and a description of any operational or performance problems which a defective locomotive or locomotive engine might exhibit.
(6) Available emissions data which relate to the defect.
(7) An indication of any anticipated follow-up by the manufacturer or remanufacturer.