40 CFR 92.906 - Manufacturer-owned, remanufacturer-owned exemption and display exemption.
(a) Any manufacturer-owned or remanufacturer-owned locomotive or locomotive engine is exempt from § 92.1103, without application, if the manufacturer complies with the following terms and conditions:
(1) The manufacturer or remanufacturer must establish, maintain, and retain the following adequately organized and indexed information on each exempted locomotive or locomotive engine:
(i) Locomotive or engine identification number;
(ii) Use of the locomotive or engine on exempt status; and
(iii) Final disposition of any locomotive or engine removed from exempt status.
(2) The manufacturer or remanufacturer must provide right of entry and access to these records to EPA Enforcement Officers as outlined in § 92.208.
(3) The manufacturer or remanufacturer must permanently affix a label to each locomotive or locomotive engine on exempt status, unless the requirement is waived or an alternate procedure is approved by the Director, Engine Programs and Compliance Division. This label should:
(i) Be affixed in a readily visible portion of the locomotive or locomotive engine;
(ii) Be attached in such a manner that cannot be removed without destruction or defacement;
(iii) State in the English language and in block letters and numerals of a color that contrasts with the background of the label, the following information:
(A) The label heading “Emission Control Information”;
(B) Full corporate name and trademark of manufacturer or remanufacturer;
(C) Engine displacement, engine family identification, and model year of engine; or person of office to be contacted for further information about the engine;
(D) The statement “This locomotive or locomotive engine is exempt from the prohibitions of 40 CFR 92.1103.”
(4) No provision of paragraph (a)(3) of this section prevents a manufacturer or remanufacturer from including any other information it desires on the label.
(5) The locomotive or locomotive engine is not used in revenue-generating service, or sold.
(b) Display exemption. An uncertified locomotive or locomotive engine that is to be used solely for display purposes, and that will only be operated incident and necessary to the display purpose, and will not be sold unless an applicable certificate of conformity has been obtained for the locomotive or engine, is exempt without request from the standards of this part.