40 CFR 97.154 - Compliance with CAIR NO X emissions limitation.
(a) Allowance transfer deadline. The CAIR NOX allowances are available to be deducted for compliance with a source's CAIR NOX emissions limitation for a control period in a given calendar year only if the CAIR NOX allowances:
(1) Were allocated for the control period in the year or a prior year; and
(2) Are held in the compliance account as of the allowance transfer deadline for the control period or are transferred into the compliance account by a CAIR NOX allowance transfer correctly submitted for recordation under §§ 97.160 and 97.161 by the allowance transfer deadline for the control period.
(b) Deductions for compliance. Following the recordation, in accordance with § 97.161, of CAIR NOX allowance transfers submitted for recordation in a source's compliance account by the allowance transfer deadline for a control period, the Administrator will deduct from the compliance account CAIR NOX allowances available under paragraph (a) of this section in order to determine whether the source meets the CAIR NOX emissions limitation for the control period, as follows:
(1) Until the amount of CAIR NOX allowances deducted equals the number of tons of total nitrogen oxides emissions, determined in accordance with subpart HH of this part, from all CAIR NOX units at the source for the control period; or
(2) If there are insufficient CAIR NOX allowances to complete the deductions in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, until no more CAIR NOX allowances available under paragraph (a) of this section remain in the compliance account.
(1) Identification of CAIR NO X allowances by serial number. The CAIR authorized account representative for a source's compliance account may request that specific CAIR NOX allowances, identified by serial number, in the compliance account be deducted for emissions or excess emissions for a control period in accordance with paragraph (b) or (d) of this section. Such request shall be submitted to the Administrator by the allowance transfer deadline for the control period and include, in a format prescribed by the Administrator, the identification of the CAIR NOX source and the appropriate serial numbers.
(2) First-in, first-out. The Administrator will deduct CAIR NOX allowances under paragraph (b) or (d) of this section from the source's compliance account, in the absence of an identification or in the case of a partial identification of CAIR NOX allowances by serial number under paragraph (c)(1) of this section, on a first-in, first-out (FIFO) accounting basis in the following order:
(i) Any CAIR NOX allowances that were allocated to the units at the source, in the order of recordation; and then
(ii) Any CAIR NOX allowances that were allocated to any entity and transferred and recorded in the compliance account pursuant to subpart GG of this part, in the order of recordation.
(d) Deductions for excess emissions. (1) After making the deductions for compliance under paragraph (b) of this section for a control period in a calendar year in which the CAIR NOX source has excess emissions, the Administrator will deduct from the source's compliance account an amount of CAIR NOX allowances, allocated for the control period in the immediately following calendar year, equal to 3 times the number of tons of the source's excess emissions.
(2) Any allowance deduction required under paragraph (d)(1) of this section shall not affect the liability of the owners and operators of the CAIR NOX source or the CAIR NOX units at the source for any fine, penalty, or assessment, or their obligation to comply with any other remedy, for the same violations, as ordered under the Clean Air Act or applicable State law.
(e) Recordation of deductions. The Administrator will record in the appropriate compliance account all deductions from such an account under paragraphs (b) and (d) of this section and subpart II.
(f) Administrator's action on submissions. (1) The Administrator may review and conduct independent audits concerning any submission under the CAIR NOX Annual Trading Program and make appropriate adjustments of the information in the submissions.
(2) The Administrator may deduct CAIR NOX allowances from or transfer CAIR NOX allowances to a source's compliance account based on the information in the submissions, as adjusted under paragraph (f)(1) of this section, and record such deductions and transfers.
Title 40 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 97 after this date.