40 CFR Part 264, Appendix I to Part 264 - Recordkeeping Instructions
prev | next
Appendix I to Part 264—Recordkeeping Instructions
The recordkeeping provisions of § 264.73 specify that an owner or operator must keep a written operating record at his facility. This appendix provides additional instructions for keeping portions of the operating record. See § 264.73(b) for additional recordkeeping requirements.
The following information must be recorded, as it becomes available, and maintained in the operating record until closure of the facility in the following manner:
Records of each hazardous waste received, treated, stored, or disposed of at the facility which include the following:
(1) A description by its common name and the EPA Hazardous Waste Number(s) from part 261 of this chapter which apply to the waste. The waste description also must include the waste's physical form, i.e., liquid, sludge, solid, or contained gas. If the waste is not listed in part 261, subpart D, of this chapter, the description also must include the process that produced it (for example, solid filter cake from production of ----, EPA Hazardous Waste Number W051).
Each hazardous waste listed in part 261, subpart D, of this chapter, and each hazardous waste characteristic defined in part 261, subpart C, of this chapter, has a four-digit EPA Hazardous Waste Number assigned to it. This number must be used for recordkeeping and reporting purposes. Where a hazardous waste contains more than one listed hazardous waste, or where more than one hazardous waste characteristic applies to the waste, the waste description must include all applicable EPA Hazardous Waste Numbers.
(2) The estimated or manifest-reported weight, or volume and density, where applicable, in one of the units of measure specified in Table 1;
|Unit of measure||Code 1|
|1 Single digit symbols are used here for data processing purposes.|
|Gallons per Hour||E|
|Gallons per Day||U|
|Liters per Hour||H|
|Liters per Day||V|
|Short Tons per Hour||D|
|Metric Tons per Hour||W|
|Short Tons per Day||N|
|Metric Tons per Day||S|
|Pounds per Hour||J|
|Kilograms per Hour||R|
|Btu's per Hour||I|
(3) The method(s) (by handling code(s) as specified in Table 2) and date(s) of treatment, storage, or disposal.
Table 2—Handling Codes for Treatment, Storage and Disposal Methods
Enter the handling code(s) listed below that most closely represents the technique(s) used at the facility to treat, store or dispose of each quantity of hazardous waste received.
S01Container (barrel, drum, etc.)
S06Containment Building (Storage)
S99Other Storage (specify)
T06Liquid injection incinerator
T07Rotary kiln incinerator
T08Fluidized bed incinerator
T09Multiple hearth incinerator
T10Infrared furnace incinerator
T11Molten salt destructor
T13Wet air oxidation
(1) Separation of components:
(2) Removal of Specific Components:
T58High gradient magnetic separation
T60Liquid ion exchange
T76Waste stabilization pond
(e)Boilers and Industrial Furnaces
T87Smelting, Melting, or Refining Furnace
T88Titanium Dioxide Chloride Process Oxidation Reactor
T89Methane Reforming Furnace
T90Pulping Liquor Recovery Furnace
T91Combustion Device Used in the Recovery of Sulfur Values from Spent Sulfuric Acid
T92Halogen Acid Furnaces
T93Other Industrial Furnaces Listed in 40 CFR 260.10 (specify)
T94Containment Building (Treatment)
D83Surface Impoundment (to be closed as a landfill)
D99Other Disposal (specify)
4. Miscellaneous (Subpart X)
X01Open Burning/Open Detonation
X99Other Subpart X (specify)
[45 FR 33221, May 19, 1980, as amended at 59 FR 13891, Mar. 24, 1994; 71 FR 40274, July 14, 2006]
Title 40 published on 2014-07-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 40 CFR Part 264.