41 CFR § 301-2.5 - What travel arrangements require specific authorization or prior approval?

prev | next
§ 301-2.5 What travel arrangements require specific authorization or prior approval?

You must have a specific authorization or prior approval for:

(a) Use of other than coach-class service on common carrier transportation;

(b) Use of a foreign air carrier or foreign ship;

(c) Use of reduced fares for group or charter arrangements;

(d) Use of cash to pay for common carrier transportation;

(e) Use of extra-fare train service;

(f) Travel by ship;

(g) Use of a rental car;

(h) Use of a Government aircraft;

(i) Payment of a reduced per diem rate;

(j) Payment of actual expense, unless your agency has issued a blanket actual expense authorization under § 301–70.201;

(k) Travel expenses related to emergency travel;

(l) Transportation expenses related to threatened law enforcement/investigative employees and members of their families;

(m) Travel expenses related to travel to a foreign area;

(n) Acceptance of payment from a non-Federal source for travel expenses, see chapter 304 of this subtitle;

(o) Travel expenses related to attendance at a conference; and

(p) Due to an employee's medical requirements or religious beliefs, payment of the full M&IE allowance even though meals are furnished by the Government either directly or through a registration fee or other payment for a conference or other event, in accordance with § 301–11.18(b).

Note to § 301–2.5:

Paragraphs (c), (i), (n), and (o) of this section require a written or electronic advance authorization.

[FTR Amdt. 70, 63 FR 15955, Apr. 1, 1998, as amended by FTR Amdt. 2005–03, 70 FR 28459, May 18, 2005; FTR Amdt. 2009–03, 74 FR 16328, Apr. 10, 2009; FTR Amdt. 2009–06, 74 FR 55147, Oct. 27, 2009; FTR Amdt. 2011–03, 76 FR 55274, Sept. 7, 2011; FTR Case 2020–300–1, 87 FR 55702, Sept. 12, 2022]