41 CFR § 51-7.4 - Typical classes of action.
(a) 40 CFR 1507.3(b)(2) in conjunction with 40 CFR 1508.4 requires agencies to establish three typical classes of action for similar treatment under NEPA. These typical classes of action are set forth below:
(1) Actions normally requiring EIS: None.
(2) Actions normally requiring assessments but not necessarily EISs: Requests for actions for which determinations under § 51-7.2(b) are found to be affirmative.
(3) Actions normally not requiring assessments or EISs: Request for actions by nonprofit agencies through the central nonprofit agencies to add a commodity or service to the Committee's Procurement List.
(1) A proposal for agency action is not covered by one of the typical classes of action above; or
(2) For actions which are covered, but where the presence of extraordinary circumstances indicates that some other level of environmental review may be appropriate.