42 CFR 1003.109 - Notice of proposed determination.
(a) If the Inspector General proposes a penalty and, when applicable, assessment, or proposes to exclude a respondent from participation in a Federal health care program, as applicable, in accordance with this part, he or she must deliver or send by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the respondent written notice of his or her intent to impose a penalty, assessment and exclusion, as applicable. The notice includes -
(1) Reference to the statutory basis for the penalty, assessment and exclusion;
(2) A description of the claims, requests for payment, or incidents with respect to which the penalty, assessment and exclusion are proposed (except in cases where the Inspector General is relying upon statistical sampling in accordance with § 1003.133 in which case the notice shall describe those claims and requests for payment comprising the sample upon which the Inspector General is relying and will also briefly describe the statistical sampling technique utilized by the Inspector General);
(3) The reason why such claims, requests for payments or incidents subject the respondent to a penalty, assessment and exclusion;
(4) The amount of the proposed penalty, assessment and the period of proposed exclusion (where applicable);
(5) Any circumstances described in § 1003.106 that were considered when determining the amount of the proposed penalty and assessment and the period of exclusion;
(6) Instructions for responding to the notice, including -
(i) A specific statement of respondent's right to a hearing, and
(ii) A statement that failure to request a hearing within 60 days permits the imposition of the proposed penalty, assessment and exclusion without right of appeal; and
(7) In the case of a notice sent to a respondent who has an agreement under section 1866 of the Act, the notice also indicates that the imposition of an exclusion may result in the termination of the provider's agreement in accordance with section 1866(b)(2)(C) of the Act.
(b) Any person upon whom the Inspector General has proposed the imposition of a penalty, assessment or exclusion may appeal such proposed penalty, assessment or exclusion to the DAB in accordance with § 1005.2 of this chapter. The provisions of part 1005 of this chapter govern such appeals.
(c) If the respondent fails, within the time permitted, to exercise his or her right to a hearing under this section, any exclusion, penalty, or assessment becomes final.
Title 42 published on 2014-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 1003 after this date.