42 CFR 1005.4 - Authority of the ALJ.
(a) The ALJ will conduct a fair and impartial hearing, avoid delay, maintain order and assure that a record of the proceeding is made.
(b) The ALJ has the authority to -
(1) Set and change the date, time and place of the hearing upon reasonable notice to the parties;
(2) Continue or recess the hearing in whole or in part for a reasonable period of time;
(3) Hold conferences to identify or simplify the issues, or to consider other matters that may aid in the expeditious disposition of the proceeding;
(4) Administer oaths and affirmations;
(5) Issue subpoenas requiring the attendance of witnesses at hearings and the production of documents at or in relation to hearings;
(6) Rule on motions and other procedural matters;
(7) Regulate the scope and timing of documentary discovery as permitted by this part;
(8) Regulate the course of the hearing and the conduct of representatives, parties, and witnesses;
(9) Examine witnesses;
(10) Receive, rule on, exclude or limit evidence;
(11) Upon motion of a party, take official notice of facts;
(12) Upon motion of a party, decide cases, in whole or in part, by summary judgment where there is no disputed issue of material fact; and
(13) Conduct any conference, argument or hearing in person or, upon agreement of the parties, by telephone.
(c) The ALJ does not have the authority to -
(1) Find invalid or refuse to follow Federal statutes or regulations or secretarial delegations of authority;
(2) Enter an order in the nature of a directed verdict;
(3) Compel settlement negotiations;
(5) Review the exercise of discretion by the OIG to exclude an individual or entity under section 1128(b) of the Act or under part 1003 of this chapter, or determine the scope or effect of the exclusion;
(6) Set a period of exclusion at zero, or reduce a period of exclusion to zero, in any case in which the ALJ finds that an individual or entity committed an act described in section 1128(b) of the Act or under part 1003 of this chapter; or
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 1005 after this date.