42 CFR 124.517 - Unrestricted availability compliance alternative for Title VI-assisted facilities.
(a) Effect of certification. The Secretary may certify a Title VI-assisted facility which meets the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section and the applicable requirements of this subpart as an unrestricted availability facility. A facility which is so certified is not required to comply with the requirements of this subpart, except as provided in this section or elsewhere in this subpart.
(b) Criteria for qualification. A facility may qualify for certification under this section if, for any fiscal year for which certification is sought, it operates a compliant, fully expanded uncompensated services program. Such a program must meet the following criteria:
(1) It makes all services of the facility available without charge to all persons requesting uncompensated services from the facility who are eligible under § 124.505, including all persons coming within Category B and, if applicable, Category C.
(2) It complies with the notice and allocation plan requirements of §§ 124.504 and 124.506, except that all notices published or provided must describe an allocation plan and program consistent with paragraph (b)(1) of this section.
(3) It makes written determinations in accordance with § 124.507, except that all favorable determinations must indicate that the facility will provide uncompensated services at no charge.
(4) It provides uncompensated services consistent with the requirements of this section for the entire fiscal year for which certification is sought, except that a facility may
(i) Cease providing such services and still receive credit, calculated in accordance with paragraph (d) of this section, where -
(A) The facility has completed its total uncompensated services obligation, including making up any deficit; or
(B) The facility determines, and submits documentation which the Secretary finds, taking into account the factors identified in § 124.511(c), sufficient to establish that it is financially unable to continue to meet the requirements of this section for the remainder of the fiscal year; and
(ii) Receive a portion of a year's credit for the first partial year in which it began operating a fully expanded program, as long as it continued to operate the fully expanded program in subsequent years.
(c) Period of effectiveness. A certification by the Secretary under this section remains in effect until withdrawn. The Secretary may withdraw certification under this section where the Secretary determines the facility is in substantial noncompliance with the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section and has not adequately remedied or otherwise continues such noncompliance. Where the Secretary withdraws certification for part or all of a fiscal year or years, no credit may be granted for the period of unremedied substantial noncompliance.
(1) Where a Title VI-assisted facility has been assessed as having a deficit under § 124.503(b) that has not been made up prior to certification under this section, the facility may make up the deficit by providing uncompensated services in accordance with this section. The facility shall receive credit towards its deficit on the basis of one year, or part thereof, of credit towards each “deficit year” for each year, or part thereof, of operation in compliance with this section and the applicable requirements of this subpart.
(2) The number of “deficit years” of a facility shall be calculated as follows:
(i) Determine the number of years in the facility's total period of obligation pursuant to § 124.501;
(ii) Subtract the number of years in which the facility operated in compliance with this section and the applicable requirements of this subpart from the number of years derived under paragraph (d)(2)(i) of this section;
(iii) For all years in which the facility did not operate in compliance with this section, determine the ratio of the total compliance levels applicable under § 124.503(a) to the facility's total deficit under § 124.503(b);
(iv) Multiply the percentage derived under paragraph (d)(2)(iii) of this section by the number of years under obligation pursuant to § 124.501 but for which the facility did not operate in compliance with this section;
(vi) If the facility is still within the period described in § 124.501(b)(1), add the number of years derived under paragraph (d)(2)(v) of this section to the end of the period of obligation, or if the facility is beyond the period described in § 124.501(b)(1), add the number of years derived under paragraph (d)(2)(v) of this section to the last year the facility operated in compliance with this section.