42 CFR 403.742 - Condition of participation: Physical environment.
(a)Standard: Buildings. The physical plant and the overall environment must be maintained in a manner that ensures the safety and well-being of the patients. The RNHCI must have the following:
(1) Procedures for the proper storage and disposal of trash.
(2) Proper ventilation and temperature control and appropriate lighting levels to ensure a safe and secure environment.
(3) An effective pest control program.
(4) A preventive maintenance program to maintain essential mechanical, electrical, and fire protection equipment operating in an efficient and safe manner.
(5) A working call system for patients to summon aid or assistance.
(1) Patient rooms must meet the following conditions:
(i) Accommodate no more than four patients.
(iii) Have direct access to an exit corridor.
(iv) Be designed or equipped to assure full visual privacy for each patient.
(v) Have at least one window to the outside.
(vi) Have a floor at or above grade level.
(i) A separate bed of proper size and height for the convenience of the patient.
(ii) A clean, comfortable mattress.
(iii) Bedding appropriate to the weather and climate.
(3) CMS may permit variances in requirements specified in paragraphs (b)(1)(i) and (ii) of this section relating to rooms on an individual basis when the RNHCI adequately demonstrates in writing that the variances meet the following:
(i) Are in accordance with the special needs of the patients.
(ii) Will not adversely affect patients' health and safety.
Title 42 published on 19-Apr-2017 03:51
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 403 after this date.