42 CFR § 406.26 - Enrollment under State buy-in.
(a) Enrollment of QMBs under a State buy-in agreement -
(1) Effective date. Beginning with calendar year 1990, a State may request and be granted a modification of its buy-in agreement to include enrollment and payment of Part A premiums for QMBs (as defined in section 1905(p)(1) of the Act) who can become entitled to Medicare Part A only by paying a premium.
(2) Amount of premium. Premiums paid under State buy-in are not subject to increase because of late enrollment or reenrollment.
(b) Beginning of coverage under buy-in. The coverage period begins with the latest of the following:
(1) The third month following the month in which the agreement modification covering QMBs is effectuated.
(3) The date specified in the agreement modification.
(c) End of coverage under buy-in. Buy-in coverage ends with the earlier of the following:
(1) Death. Coverage ends on the last day of the month in which the QMB dies.
(3) Termination of buy-in agreement. If the State's buy-in agreement is terminated, coverage ends on the last day of the last month for which the agreement is in effect.
(4) Entitlement to premium-free Part A. If the individual becomes entitled to premium-free Part A, buy-in coverage ends on the last day of entitlement to premium Part A.
(d) Continuation of coverage: Individual enrollment following termination of buy-in coverage -
(1) Deemed enrollment. If coverage under a buy-in agreement ends because the agreement is terminated or the individual loses QMB status, the individual -
(i) Is considered to have enrolled during his or her initial enrollment period; and
(ii) Is entitled to Part A benefits and liable for Part A premiums beginning with the first month for which he or she is no longer covered under the buy-in agreement.
(2) Voluntary termination.
(ii) Voluntary disenrollment is effective as follows:
(A) If the individual files a request within 30 days after the date of CMS's notice that buy-in coverage has ended, the individual's entitlement ends on the last day of the last month for which the State paid the premium.
(B) If the individual files the request more than 30 days but not more than 6 months after buy-in coverage ends, entitlement ends on the last day of the month in which the request is filed.
(C) If the individual files the request later than the 6th month after buy-in coverage ends, entitlement ends at the end of the month after the month in which request is filed.