42 CFR § 409.17 - Physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology services.
(1) Except as specified in this section, physical therapy, occupational therapy, or speech-language pathology services must be furnished by qualified physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants, or speech-language pathologists who meet the requirements specified in part 484 of this chapter.
(2) Physical therapy, occupational therapy or speech-language pathology services must be furnished under a plan that meets the requirements of paragraphs (b) through (d) of this section, or plan requirements specific to the payment policy under which the services are rendered, if applicable.
(b)Establishment of the plan. The plan must be established before treatment begins by one of the following:
(1) A physician.
(2) A nurse practitioner, a clinical nurse specialist or a physician assistant.
(3) The physical therapist furnishing the physical therapy services.
(4) A speech-language pathologist furnishing the speech-language pathology services.
(5) An occupational therapist furnishing the occupational therapy services.
(c)Content of the plan. The plan:
(1) Prescribes the type, amount, frequency, and duration of the physical therapy, occupational therapy, or speech-language pathology services to be furnished to the individual; and
(2) Indicates the diagnosis and anticipated goals.
(d)Changes in the plan. Any changes in the plan are implemented in accordance with the provider's policies and procedures.