42 CFR 412.344 - Hold-harmless payment methodology.
(1) 85 percent of reasonable costs for old capital costs (100 percent for sole community hospitals) plus an amount for new capital costs based on a proportion of the Federal rate. The proportion is equal to the ratio of the hospital's Medicare inpatient costs for new capital to total Medicare inpatient capital costs; or
(2) 100 percent of the Federal rate.
(b)Continued basis of payment. A hospital paid based on 100 percent of the Federal rate during the later of its cost reporting period beginning in FY 1994 or its first cost reporting period beginning after obligated capital that is recognized as old capital under § 412.302(b) is put in use continues to be paid on that basis in subsequent cost reporting periods during the transition period and does not receive a reasonable cost payment for old capital costs under paragraph (a)(1) of this section.
(c)Basis of determination. The determination under paragraph (a) of this section regarding which payment alternative is applicable is made without regard to additional payments under the exceptions process under § 412.348.
(d)Interim and final payment determinations.
(1) Using the best data available, the intermediary makes an interim payment determination under paragraph (a) of this section concerning the applicable payment alternative, and, in the case of payment under paragraph (a)(1) of this section, the payment amounts for old and new capital. The intermediary notifies the hospital of its determination at least 30 days before the beginning of the hospital's first cost reporting period beginning on or after October 1, 1991. The intermediary may revise its determination based on additional information submitted by the hospital and make appropriate adjustments retroactively.
(2) The final determination of the amount payable under paragraph (a) of this section is based on final settlement of the Medicare cost report for the applicable cost reporting period and is effective retroactively to the beginning of that cost reporting period. This final determination is subject to administrative and judicial review in accordance with subpart R of part 405 of this chapter, governing provider reimbursement determinations and appeals.
- 42 CFR 413.134 — Depreciation: Allowance for Depreciation Based on Asset Costs.
- 42 CFR 412.116 — Method of Payment.
- 42 CFR 412.331 — Determining Hospital-Specific Rates in Cases of Hospital Merger, Consolidation, or Dissolution.
- 42 CFR 412.324 — General Description.
- 42 CFR 412.336 — Transition Period Payment Methodologies.