42 CFR 413.194 - Appeals.
(a)Appeals under section 1878 of the Act.
(1) A facility that disputes the amount of its allowable Medicare bad debts reimbursed by CMS under § 413.89(h)(3) may request review by the contractor or the Provider Reimbursement Review Board (PRRB) in accordance with subpart R to part 405 of this chapter.
(1) A facility that has requested higher payment per treatment in accordance with § 413.180 may request review from the contractor or the PRRB if CMS has denied the request in whole or in part. In such a case, the procedure in subpart R of part 405 of this chapter is followed to the extent that it is applicable.
(3) A facility must request and obtain a final agency decision, in accordance with paragraph (b)(1) of this section, prior to seeking judicial review of the denial, in whole or in part, of the exception request.
(1) The facility must request review within 180 days of the date of the decision on which review is sought.
(2) The facility may not submit to the reviewing entity, whether it is the contractor or the PRRB, any additional information or cost data that had not been submitted to CMS at the time CMS evaluated the exception request.
(2) The total amount in controversy is calculated by multiplying the amount in controversy per treatment by the projected number of treatments for the exception request period.