42 CFR 422.560 - Basis and scope.
(a) Statutory basis.
(1) Section 1852(f) of the Act provides that an MA organization must establish meaningful grievance procedures.
(2) Section 1852(g) of the Act establishes requirements that an MA organization must meet concerning organization determinations and appeals.
(3) Section 1869 of the Act specifies the amount in controversy needed to pursue a hearing and judicial review and authorizes representatives to act on behalf of individuals that seek appeals. These provisions are incorporated for MA appeals by section 1852(g)(5) of the Act and part 405 of this chapter.
(b) Scope. This subpart sets forth -
(1) Requirements for MA organizations with respect to grievance procedures, organization determinations, and appeal procedures.
(2) The rights of MA enrollees with respect to organization determinations, and grievance and appeal procedures.
(3) The rules concerning notice of noncoverage of inpatient hospital care.
(4) The rules that apply when an MA enrollee requests immediate QIO review of a determination that he or she no longer needs inpatient hospital care.
(c) Relation to ERISA requirements. Consistent with section 1857(i)(2) of the Act, provisions of this subpart may, to the extent applicable under regulations adopted by the Secretary of Labor, apply to claims for benefits under group health plans subject to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act.