42 CFR 422.568 - Standard timeframes and notice requirements for organization determinations.
(a) Method and place for filing a request. An enrollee must ask for a standard organization determination by making a request with the MA organization or, if applicable, to the entity responsible for making the determination (as directed by the MA organization), in accordance with the following:
(1) The request may be made orally or in writing, except as provided in paragraph (a)(2) of this section.
(2) Requests for payment must be made in writing (unless the MA organization or entity responsible for making the determination has implemented a voluntary policy of accepting verbal payment requests).
(b) Timeframe for requests for service. Except as provided in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, when a party has made a request for a service, the MA organization must notify the enrollee of its determination as expeditiously as the enrollee's health condition requires, but no later than 14 calendar days after the date the organization receives the request for a standard organization determination.
(i) The enrollee requests the extension;
(ii) The extension is justified and in the enrollee's interest due to the need for additional medical evidence from a noncontract provider that may change an MA organization's decision to deny an item or service; or
(iii) The extension is justified due to extraordinary, exigent, or other non-routine circumstances and is in the enrollee's interest.
(2) Notice of extension. When the MA organization extends the timeframe, it must notify the enrollee in writing of the reasons for the delay, and inform the enrollee of the right to file an expedited grievance if he or she disagrees with the MA organization's decision to grant an extension. The MA organization must notify the enrollee of its determination as expeditiously as the enrollee's health condition requires, but no later than upon expiration of the extension.
(1) Use approved notice language in a readable and understandable form;
(2) State the specific reasons for the denial;
(i) For service denials, describe both the standard and expedited reconsideration processes, including the enrollee's right to, and conditions for, obtaining an expedited reconsideration and the rest of the appeal process; and
(f) Effect of failure to provide timely notice. If the MA organization fails to provide the enrollee with timely notice of an organization determination as specified in this section, this failure itself constitutes an adverse organization determination and may be appealed.