42 CFR § 423.56 - Procedures to determine and document creditable status of prescription drug coverage.
(a) Definition. Creditable prescription drug coverage means any of the following types of coverage listed in paragraph (b) of this section only if the actuarial value of the coverage equals or exceeds the actuarial value of defined standard prescription drug coverage under Part D in effect at the start of such plan year, not taking into account the value of any discount or coverage provided during the coverage gap, and demonstrated through the use of generally accepted actuarial principles and in accordance with CMS guidelines.
(1) Prescription drug coverage under a PDP or MA-PD plan.
(4) Coverage under State Pharmaceutical
Assistance Programs (SPAP) as defined at § 423.454.
(5) Coverage of prescription drugs for veterans, survivors and dependents under chapter 17 of title 38, U.S.C.
(6) Coverage under a Medicare supplemental policy (Medigap policy) as defined at § 403.205 of this chapter.
(7) Military coverage under chapter 55 of title 10,
U.S.C., including TRICARE.
(8) Individual health insurance coverage (as defined in section 2791(b)(5) of the Public Health Service Act) that includes coverage for outpatient prescription drugs and that does not meet the definition of an excepted benefit (as defined in section 2791(c) of the Public Health Service Act).
(9) Coverage provided by the medical care program of the Indian Health Service, Tribe or Tribal organization, or Urban Indian organization (I/T/U).
(10) Coverage provided by a PACE organization.
(12) Coverage provided through a State High-Risk Pool as defined under 42 CFR 146.113(a)(1)(vii).
(13) Other coverage as the Secretary may determine appropriate.
(c) General disclosure requirements. With the exception of PDPs and MA-PD plans under § 423.56(b)(1) and PACE or cost-based HMO or CMP that provide qualified prescription drug coverage under this Part, each entity that offers prescription drug coverage under any of the types described in § 423.56(b), must disclose to all Part D eligible individuals enrolled in or seeking to enroll in the coverage whether the coverage is creditable prescription drug coverage.
(d) Disclosure of non-creditable coverage. In the case that the coverage of the type described in § 423.56(b) is not creditable prescription drug, the disclosure described in paragraph (c) of this section to Part D eligible individuals must also include:
(1) The fact that the coverage is not creditable prescription drug coverage, as provided by CMS;
(2) That there are limitations on the periods in a year in which the individual may enroll in Part D plans; and
(3) That the individual may be subject to a late enrollment penalty, as described under § 423.46.
(e) Disclosure to CMS. With the exception of PDPs and MA-PD plans under § 423.56(b)(1) and PACE or cost-based HMO or CMP that provide qualified prescription drug coverage under this Part, all other entities listed under paragraph (b) of this section must disclose whether the coverage they provide is creditable prescription drug coverage to CMS in a form and manner described by CMS.
(f) Notification content and timing requirements. The disclosure notification to Part-D eligible individuals required in § 423.56(c) and (d) must be provided in a form and manner prescribed by CMS. Notices must be provided, at minimum, at the following times:
(1) Prior to an individual's initial enrollment period for Part D, as described under § 423.38(a);
(2) Prior to the effective date of enrollment in the prescription drug coverage and upon any change that affects whether the coverage is creditable prescription drug coverage;
(3) Prior to the commencement of the Annual Coordinated Election Period as defined in § 423.38(b); and
(4) Upon request by the individual.
(g) When an individual is not adequately informed of coverage. If an individual establishes to CMS that he or she was not adequately informed that his or her prescription drug coverage was not creditable prescription drug coverage, the individual may apply to CMS to have the coverage treated as creditable prescription drug coverage for purposes of applying the late penalty described in § 423.46.