42 CFR 423.566 - Coverage determinations.
(a)Responsibilities of the Part D plan sponsor. Each Part D plan sponsor must have a procedure for making timely coverage determinations in accordance with the requirements of this subpart regarding the prescription drug benefits an enrollee is entitled to receive under the plan, including basic prescription drug coverage as specified in § 423.100 and supplemental benefits as specified in § 423.104(f)(1)(ii), and the amount, including cost sharing, if any, that the enrollee is required to pay for a drug. The Part D plan sponsor must have a standard procedure for making determinations, in accordance with § 423.568, and an expedited procedure for situations in which applying the standard procedure may seriously jeopardize the enrollee's life, health, or ability to regain maximum function, in accordance with § 423.570.
(b)Actions that are coverage determinations. The following actions by a Part D plan sponsor are coverage determinations:
(1) A decision not to provide or pay for a Part D drug (including a decision not to pay because the drug is not on the plan's formulary, because the drug is determined not to be medically necessary, because the drug is furnished by an out-of-network pharmacy, or because the Part D plan sponsor determines that the drug is otherwise excludable under section 1862(a) of the Act if applied to
(2) Failure to provide a coverage determination in a timely manner, when a delay would adversely affect the health of the enrollee;
(5) A decision on the amount of cost sharing for a drug.
(c) Who can request a coverage determination. Individuals who can request a standard or expedited coverage determination are -
(1) The enrollee;
(d)Who must review coverage determinations. If the Part D plan sponsor expects to issue a partially or fully adverse medical necessity (or any substantively equivalent term used to describe the concept of medical necessity) decision based on the initial review of the request, the coverage determination must be reviewed by a physician or other appropriate health care professional with sufficient medical and other expertise, including knowledge of
Title 42 published on 16-Nov-2018 03:48
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 423 after this date.
- 42 CFR 423.578 — Exceptions Process.
- 42 CFR 423.584 — Expediting Certain Redeterminations.
- 42 CFR 423.2102 — Request for Council Review When ALJ or Attorney Adjudicator Issues Decision or Dismissal.
- 42 CFR 423.120 — Access to Covered Part D Drugs.
- 42 CFR 423.570 — Expediting Certain Coverage Determinations.
- 42 CFR 423.2002 — Right to an ALJ Hearing.
- 42 CFR 423.2046 — Notice of an ALJ or Attorney Adjudicator Decision.
- 42 CFR 423.560 — Definitions.
- 42 CFR 423.564 — Grievance Procedures.
- 42 CFR 423.2016 — Timeframes for Deciding an Appeal of an IRE Reconsideration.
- 42 CFR 423.100 — Definitions.
- 42 CFR 423.2108 — Council Actions When Request for Review Is Filed.
- 42 CFR 423.562 — General Provisions.