42 CFR § 423.582 - Request for a standard redetermination.
(a) Method and place for filing a request. An enrollee or an enrollee's prescribing physician or other prescriber (acting on behalf of the enrollee) must ask for a redetermination by making a written request with the Part D plan sponsor that made the coverage determination or the at-risk determination under a drug management program in accordance with § 423.153(f). The Part D plan sponsor may adopt a policy for accepting oral requests.
(b) Timeframe for filing a request. Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, a request for a redetermination must be filed within 60 calendar days from the date of the notice of the coverage determination or the at-risk determination under a drug management program in accordance with § 423.153(f).
(c) Extending the time for filing a request -
(1) General rule. If an enrollee or prescribing physician or other prescriber acting on behalf of an enrollee shows good cause, the Part D plan sponsor may extend the timeframe for filing a request for redetermination.
(2) How to request an extension of timeframe. If the 60 calendar day period in which to file a request for a redetermination has expired, an enrollee or a prescribing physician or other prescriber acting on behalf of an enrollee may file a request for redetermination and extension of time frame with the Part D plan sponsor. The request for redetermination and to extend the timeframe must -
(i) Be in writing; and
(ii) State why the request for redetermination was not filed on time.
(e) Dismissing a request. A Part D plan sponsor dismisses a redetermination request, either entirely or as to any stated issue, under any of the following circumstances:
(i) The enrollee's surviving spouse or estate has no remaining financial interest in the case.
(f) Notice of dismissal. The Part D plan sponsor must mail or otherwise transmit a written notice of the dismissal of the redetermination request to the parties. The notice must state all of the following:
(1) The reason for the dismissal.
(2) The right to request that the Part D plan sponsor vacate the dismissal action.
(3) The right to request review of the dismissal by the independent entity.
(h) Effect of dismissal. The dismissal of a request for redetermination is binding unless the enrollee or other party requests review by the IRE or the decision is vacated under paragraph (g) of this section.