42 CFR 425.604 - Calculation of savings under the one-sided model.
(a)Savings determination. For each performance year, CMS determines whether the estimated average per capita Medicare expenditures under the ACO for Medicare fee-for-service beneficiaries for Parts A and B services are below the applicable updated benchmark determined under § 425.602.
(1)Newly assigned beneficiaries. CMS uses an ACO's HCC prospective risk score to adjust the benchmark for changes in severity and case mix in this population.
(2)Continuously assigned beneficiaries.
(i) CMS uses demographic factors to adjust the benchmark for changes in the continuously assigned population.
(ii) If the prospective HCC risk score is lower in the performance year for this population, CMS will adjust the benchmark for changes in severity and case mix in this population using this lower prospective HCC risk score.
(3) Assigned beneficiary changes in demographics and health status are used to adjust benchmark expenditures as described in § 425.602(a). In adjusting the benchmark for health status and demographic changes CMS makes adjustments for separate categories for each of the following populations of beneficiaries:
(i) For performance years before 2017 to minimize variation from catastrophically large claims, CMS truncates an assigned beneficiary's total annual Parts A and B fee-for-service per capita expenditures at the 99th percentile of national Medicare fee-for-service expenditures as determined for each performance year.
(ii) For the 2017 performance year and subsequent performance years, to minimize variation from catastrophically large claims, CMS truncates an assigned beneficiary's total annual Parts A and B fee-for-service per capita expenditures at the 99th percentile of national Medicare fee-for-service expenditures as determined for the applicable performance year for assignable beneficiaries identified for the 12-month calendar year corresponding to the performance year.
(6) Calculations of the ACO's expenditures will include the payment amounts included in Part A and B fee-for-service claims.
(i) These calculations will exclude indirect medical education (IME) and disproportionate share hospital (DSH) payments.
(7) In order to qualify for a shared savings payment, the ACO's average per capita Medicare expenditures for the performance year must be below the applicable updated benchmark by at least the minimum savings rate established for the ACO under paragraph (b) of this section.
(b)Minimum savings rate (MSR). CMS uses a sliding scale, based on the number of beneficiaries assigned to the ACO under subpart E of this part, to establish the MSR for an ACO participating under the one-sided model. The MSR under the one-sided model for an ACO based on the number of assigned beneficiaries is as follows:
|MSR (low end of assigned beneficiaries) (percent)||MSR
of assigned beneficiaries)
(c)Qualification for shared savings payment. In order to qualify for shared savings, an ACO must meet or exceed its minimum savings rate determined under paragraph (b) of this section, meet the minimum quality performance standards established under § 425.502, and otherwise maintain its eligibility to participate in the Shared Savings Program under this part.
(d)Final sharing rate. An ACO that meets all the requirements for receiving shared savings payments under the one-sided model will receive a shared savings payment of up to 50 percent of all savings under the updated benchmark, as determined on the basis of its quality performance under § 425.502 of this part (up to the performance payment limit described in paragraph (e)(2) of this section).
(1) If an ACO qualifies for savings by meeting or exceeding the MSR, the final sharing rate will apply to an ACO's savings on a first dollar basis.
Title 42 published on 07-Sep-2018 03:21
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 425 after this date.
- 42 CFR 425.100 — General.
- 42 CFR 425.800 — Preclusion of Administrative and Judicial Review.
- 42 CFR 425.608 — Determining First Year Performance for ACOs Beginning April 1 or July 1, 2012.
- 42 CFR 425.602 — Establishing, Adjusting, and Updating the Benchmark for an ACO's First Agreement Period.
- 42 CFR 425.600 — Selection of Risk Model.
- 42 CFR 425.200 — Participation Agreement With CMS.
- 42 CFR 425.603 — Resetting, Adjusting, and Updating the Benchmark for a Subsequent Agreement Period.
- 42 CFR 425.315 — Reopening Determinations of ACO Shared Savings or Shared Losses to Correct Financial Reconciliation Calculations.