42 CFR 435.911 - Timely determination of eligibility.
prev | next
(a) The agency must establish time standards for determining eligibility and inform the applicant of what they are. These standards may not exceed—
(b) The time standards must cover the period from the date of application to the date the agency mails notice of its decision to the applicant.
(c) The agency must determine eligibility within the standards except in unusual circumstances, for example—
(1) When the agency cannot reach a decision because the applicant or an examining physician delays or fails to take a required action, or
(2) As a reason for denying eligibility (because it has not determined eligibility within the time standards).
[44 FR 17937, Mar. 23, 1979, as amended at 45 FR 24887, Apr. 11, 1980; 54 FR 50762, Dec. 11, 1989]§ 435.911, Nt.
Effective Date Note:
At 77 FR 17209, Mar. 23, 2012, § 435.911 was redesignated as § 435.912 and a new § 435.911 was added, effective Jan. 1, 2014. For the convenience of the user, the added text is set forth as follows:
§ 435.911 Determination of eligibility.
(a) Statutory basis. This section implements sections 1902(a)(4), (a)(8), (a)(10)(A), (a)(19), and (e)(14) and section 1943 of the Act.
(b)(1) Applicable modified adjusted gross income standard means 133 percent of the Federal poverty level or, if higher—
(i) In the case of parents and other caretaker relatives described in § 435.110(b) of this part, the income standard established in accordance with § 435.110(c) of this part;
(ii) In the case of pregnant women, the income standard established in accordance with § 435.116(c) of this part;
(iii) In the case of individuals under age 19, the income standard established in accordance with § 435.118(c) of this part;
(iv) The income standard established under § 435.218(b)(1)(iv) of this part, if the State has elected to provide coverage under such section and, if applicable, coverage under the State's phase-in plan has been implemented for the individual whose eligibility is being determined.
(c) For each individual who has submitted an application described in § 435.907 or whose eligibility is being renewed in accordance with § 435.916 and who meets the non-financial requirements for eligibility (or for whom the agency is providing a reasonable opportunity to provide documentation of citizenship or immigration status, in accordance with sections 1903(x), 1902(ee) or 1137(d) of the Act), the State Medicaid agency must comply with the following—
(1) The agency must, promptly and without undue delay consistent with timeliness standards established under § 435.912, furnish Medicaid to each such individual who is under age 19, pregnant, or age 19 or older and under age 65 and not entitled to or enrolled for Medicare benefits under part A or B of title XVIII of the Act, and whose household income is at or below the applicable modified adjusted gross income standard.
(2) For each individual described in paragraph (d) of this section, the agency must collect such additional information as may be needed consistent with § 435.907(c), to determine whether such individual is eligible for Medicaid on any basis other than the applicable modified adjusted gross income standard, and furnish Medicaid on such basis.
(3) For individuals not eligible on the basis of the applicable modified adjusted gross income standard, the agency must comply with the requirements set forth in § 435.1200(e) of this part.
(d) For purposes of paragraph (c)(2) of this section, individuals described in this paragraph include:
(1) Individuals whom the agency identifies, on the basis of information contained in an application described in § 435.907(b) of this part, or renewal form described in § 435.916(a)(3) of this part, or on the basis of other information available to the State, as potentially eligible on a basis other than the applicable MAGI standard;
(2) Individuals who submit an alternative application described in § 435.907(c) of this part; and
(3) Individuals who otherwise request a determination of eligibility on a basis other than the applicable MAGI standard as described in § 435.603(j) of this part.
Title 42 published on 2014-10-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 42 CFR Part 435.