42 CFR 447.272 - Inpatient services: Application of upper payment limits.
(a) Scope. This section applies to rates set by the agency to pay for inpatient services furnished by hospitals, NFs, and ICFs/IID within one of the following categories:
(1) State government-owned or operated facilities (that is, all facilities that are either owned or operated by the State).
(2) Non-State government-owned or operated facilities (that is, all government facilities that are neither owned nor operated by the State).
(3) Privately-owned and operated facilities.
(b) General rules.
(1) Upper payment limit refers to a reasonable estimate of the amount that would be paid for the services furnished by the group of facilities under Medicare payment principles in subchapter B of this chapter.
(2) Except as provided for in paragraph (c) of this section, aggregate Medicaid payments to a group of facilities within one of the categories described in paragraph (a) of this section may not exceed the upper payment limit described in paragraph (b)(1) of this section.
(c) Exceptions -
(1) Indian Health Services and tribal facilities. The limitation in paragraph (b) of this section does not apply to Indian Health Services facilities and tribal facilities that are funded through the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act (Pub. L. 93-638).
(2) Disproportionate share hospitals. The limitation in paragraph (b) of this section does not apply to payment adjustments made under section 1923 of the Act that are made under a State plan to hospitals found to serve a disproportionate number of low-income patients with special needs as provided in section 1902(a)(13)(A)(iv) of the Act. Disproportionate share hospital (DSH) payments are subject to the following limits:
(i) The aggregate DSH limit using the Federal share of the DSH limit under section 1923(f) of the Act.
(ii) The hospital-specific DSH limit in section 1923(g) of the Act.
(iii) The aggregate DSH limit for institutions for mental disease (IMDs) under section 1923(h) of the Act.
(d) Compliance dates. Except as permitted under paragraph (e) of this section, a State must comply with the upper payment limit described in paragraph (b) of this section by one of the following dates:
(1) For non-State government owned or operated hospitals, - March 19, 2002.
(2) For all other facilities - March 13, 2001.
Title 42 published on 2015-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 447 after this date.