42 CFR 457.475 - Limitations on coverage: Abortions.
(a) General rule. FFP under title XXI is not available in expenditures for an abortion, or in expenditures for the purchase of health benefits coverage that includes coverage of abortion services unless the abortion services meet the conditions specified in paragraph (b) of this section.
(b) Exceptions -
(1) Life of mother. FFP is available in expenditures for abortion services when a physician has found that the abortion is necessary to save the life of the mother.
(2) Rape or incest. FFP is available in expenditures for abortion services performed to terminate a pregnancy resulting from an act of rape or incest.
(c) Partial Federal funding prohibited.
(1) FFP is not available to a State for any amount expended under the title XXI plan to assist in the purchase, in whole or in part, of health benefits coverage that includes coverage of abortions other than those specified in paragraph (b) of this section.
(2) If a State wishes to have managed care entities provide abortions in addition to those specified in paragraph (b) of this section, those abortions must be provided under a separate contract using non-Federal funds. A State may not set aside a portion of the capitated rate paid to a managed care entity to be paid with State-only funds, or append riders, attachments or addenda to existing contracts with managed care entities to separate the additional abortion services from the other services covered by the contract.
(3) Nothing in this section affects the expenditure by a State, locality, or private person or entity of State, local, or private funds (other than those expended under the State plan) for any abortion services or for health benefits coverage that includes coverage of abortion services.