42 CFR 488.314 - Survey teams.
(1) Surveys must be conducted by an interdisciplinary team of professionals, which must include a registered nurse.
(2) Examples of professionals include, but are not limited to, physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, physical, speech, or occupational therapists, registered professional nurses, dieticians, sanitarians, engineers, licensed practical nurses, or social workers.
(4) Any of the following circumstances disqualifies a surveyor for surveying a particular facility:
(i) The surveyor currently works, or, within the past two years, has worked as an employee, as employment agency staff at the facility, or as an officer, consultant, or agent for the facility to be surveyed.
(ii) The surveyor has any financial interest or any ownership interest in the facility.
(b)CMS training. CMS provides comprehensive training to surveyors, including at least the following:
(1) Application and interpretation of regulations for SNFs and NFs.
(2) Techniques and survey procedures for conducting standard and extended surveys.
(3) Techniques for auditing resident assessments and plans of care.
(c)Required surveyor training.
(1) Except as specified in paragraph (c)(3) of this section, the survey agency may not permit an individual to serve as a member of a survey team unless the individual has successfully completed a training and testing program prescribed by the Secretary.
(2) The survey agency must have a mechanism to identify and respond to in-service training needs of the surveyors.
(3) The survey agency may permit an individual who has not completed a training program to participate in a survey as a trainee if accompanied on-site by a surveyor who has successfully completed the required training and testing program.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 488 after this date.