42 CFR § 488.422 - State monitoring.
(a) A State monitor—
(2) Is an employee or a contractor of the survey agency;
(3) Is identified by the State as an appropriate professional to monitor cited deficiencies;
(4) Is not an employee of the facility;
(5) Does not function as a consultant to the facility; and
(c) State monitoring is discontinued when—
(1) The facility has demonstrated that it is in substantial compliance with the requirements, and, if imposed for repeated instances of substandard quality of care, will remain in compliance for a period of time specified by CMS or the State; or
(2) Termination procedures are completed.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.