42 CFR § 488.422 - State monitoring.
(a) A State monitor -
(2) Is an employee or a contractor of the survey agency;
(3) Is identified by the State as an appropriate professional to monitor cited deficiencies;
(4) Is not an employee of the facility;
(5) Does not function as a consultant to the facility; and
(c) State monitoring is discontinued when -
(1) The facility has demonstrated that it is in substantial compliance with the requirements, and, if imposed for repeated instances of substandard quality of care, will remain in compliance for a period of time specified by CMS or the State; or
(2) Termination procedures are completed.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.