42 CFR 493.1451 - Standard: Technical supervisor responsibilities.
The technical supervisor is responsible for the technical and scientific oversight of the laboratory. The technical supervisor is not required to be on site at all times testing is performed; however, he or she must be available to the laboratory on an as needed basis to provide supervision as specified in (a) of this section.
(a) The technical supervisor must be accessible to the laboratory to provide on-site, telephone, or electronic consultation; and
(b) The technical supervisor is responsible for -
(1) Selection of the test methodology that is appropriate for the clinical use of the test results;
(3) Enrollment and participation in an HHS approved proficiency testing program commensurate with the services offered;
(4) Establishing a quality control program appropriate for the testing performed and establishing the parameters for acceptable levels of analytic performance and ensuring that these levels are maintained throughout the entire testing process from the initial receipt of the specimen, through sample analysis and reporting of test results;
(7) Identifying training needs and assuring that each individual performing tests receives regular in-service training and education appropriate for the type and complexity of the laboratory services performed;
(8) Evaluating the competency of all testing personnel and assuring that the staff maintain their competency to perform test procedures and report test results promptly, accurately and proficiently. The procedures for evaluation of the competency of the staff must include, but are not limited to -
(ii) Monitoring the recording and reporting of test results;
(iii) Review of intermediate test results or worksheets, quality control records, proficiency testing results, and preventive maintenance records;
(iv) Direct observation of performance of instrument maintenance and function checks;
(vi) Assessment of problem solving skills; and
(9) Evaluating and documenting the performance of individuals responsible for high complexity testing at least semiannually during the first year the individual tests patient specimens. Thereafter, evaluations must be performed at least annually unless test methodology or instrumentation changes, in which case, prior to reporting patient test results, the individual's performance must be reevaluated to include the use of the new test methodology or instrumentation.
(c) In cytology, the technical supervisor or the individual qualified under § 493.1449(k)(2) -
(1) May perform the duties of the cytology general supervisor and the cytotechnologist, as specified in §§ 493.1471 and 493.1485, respectively;
(2) Must establish the workload limit for each individual examining slides;
(3) Must reassess the workload limit for each individual examining slides at least every 6 months and adjust as necessary;
(4) Must perform the functions specified in § 493.1274(d) and (e);
(5) Must ensure that each individual examining gynecologic preparations participates in an HHS approved cytology proficiency testing program, as specified in § 493.945 and achieves a passing score, as specified in § 493.855; and
(6) If responsible for screening cytology slide preparations, must document the number of cytology slides screened in 24 hours and the number of hours devoted during each 24-hour period to screening cytology slides.
Title 42 published on 18-Apr-2018 04:17
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 493 after this date.