42 CFR 93.511 - Prehearing conferences.
(a) The ALJ must schedule an initial prehearing conference with the parties within 30 days of the DAB Chair's assignment of the case.
(1) Identification and simplification of the issues, specification of disputes of fact and their materiality to the ORI findings of research misconduct and any HHS administrative actions, and amendments to the pleadings, including any need for a more definite statement;
(2) Stipulations and admissions of fact including the contents, relevancy, and authenticity of documents;
(3) Respondent's waiver of an administrative hearing, if any, and submission of the case on the basis of the administrative record as provided in § 93.503(d);
(5) Identification of evidence, pleadings, and other materials, if any, that the parties should exchange before the hearing;
(6) Identification of the parties' witnesses, the general nature of their testimony, and the limitation on the number of witnesses and the scope of their testimony;
(7) Scheduling dates such as the filing of briefs on legal issues identified in the charge letter or the respondent's request for hearing, the exchange of witness lists, witness statements, proposed exhibits, requests for the production of documents, and objections to proposed witnesses and documents;
(c) The ALJ may schedule additional prehearing conferences as appropriate, upon reasonable notice to or request of the parties.
(d) All prehearing conferences will be audio-taped with copies provided to the parties upon request.
(e) Whenever possible, the ALJ must memorialize in writing any oral rulings within 10 days after the prehearing conference.
(f) By 15 days before the scheduled hearing date, the ALJ must hold a final prehearing conference to resolve to the maximum extent possible all outstanding issues about evidence, witnesses, stipulations, motions and all other matters that may encourage the fair, just, and prompt disposition of the proceedings.
Title 42 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.