43 CFR 29.1 - Definitions.
As used in this part:
(b) Affiliated means:
(1) Any person owned or effectively controlled by the vessel Owner or Operators; or
(2) Any person that effectively controls or has the power to effectively control the vessel Owner or Operator by -
(i) Stock interest, or
(ii) Representation on a board of directors or similar body, or
(iii) Contract or other agreement with other stockholders, or
(iv) Otherwise, or;
(3) Any person which is under common ownership or control with the vessel Owner or Operator.
(c) Claim means a demand in writing for payment for damage allegedly caused by an incident.
(d) Contact person means a person designated by the Owner or Operator and identified to the Fund Administrator and the National Response Center operated by the Coast Guard as the official responsible for coordinating with the Fund the resolution of claims filed as a result of a TAPS oil spill.
(e) Damage or damages means any economic loss, arising out of or directly resulting from an incident, including but not limited to:
(1) Removal costs;
(2) Injury to, or destruction of, real or personal property;
(3) Loss of use of real or personal property;
(4) Injury to, or destruction of, natural resources;
(5) Loss of use of natural resources; or
(6) Loss of profits or impairment of earning capacity due to injury or destruction of real or personal property or natural resources, including loss of subsistence hunting, fishing and gathering opportunities.
(g) Guarantor means the person, other than the Owner or Operator who provides evidence of financial responsibility for an Owner or Operator, and includes an underwriter, insurer or surety company.
(1) Violates applicable water quality standards, or
(2) Causes a film or sheen upon or discoloration of the surface of the water or adjoining shorelines or causes a sludge or emulsion to be deposited beneath the surface of the water or upon adjoining shorelines.
(l) Person means an individual, a corporation, a partnership, an association, a joint stock company, a business trust, an unincorporated organization, or a Government entity.
(p) Secretary means the Secretary of the Interior or an authorized representative of the Secretary.
(t) United States includes the various States of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Canal Zone, Guam, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands.
(u) Vessel means any type of water-craft or other artificial contrivance, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, which is engaged in any segment of transportation between the terminal facilities of the Pipeline and ports under the jurisdiction of the United States, and which is carrying TAPS oil.