43 CFR 3137.63 - What are my liabilities after BLM approves me as the new unit operator?
(a) After BLM approves the change in unit operator, you, as the new unit operator, assume full liability, jointly and severally with the record title and operating rights owners, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (c) of this section and to the extent permitted by law, for -
(1) Compliance with the terms and conditions of the unit agreement, Federal laws and regulations, lease terms and stipulations, and BLM notices and orders;
(2) Plugging unplugged wells and reclaiming unreclaimed facilities that were installed or used before the effective date of the change in unit operator (this liability is joint and several with the former unit operator); and
(3) Those liabilities accruing during the time you are unit operator.
(b) Your liability includes, but is not limited to -
(1) Rental and royalty payments;
(2) Protecting the unit from loss due to drainage as provided in § 3137.64 of this subpart;
(3) Well plugging and abandonment;
(4) Surface reclamation;
(5) All environmental remediation or restoration required by law, regulations, lease terms, or conditions of approval; and
(6) Other requirements related to unit operations.
(c) Your liability for royalty and other payments on the unit is limited by section 102(a) of the Federal Oil and Gas Royalty Management Act of 1982, as amended (30 U.S.C. 1712(a)).