43 CFR § 44.11 - What are the definitions of terms used in this subpart?
Entitlement land means land owned by the United States:
(2) That is administered by the Secretary of the Interior through the Office of the Secretary;
(3) That is dedicated to the use of the Government for water resource development projects;
(4) On which there are semiactive or inactive installations, excluding industrial installations, that the Department of Army keeps for mobilization and reserve component training;
(5) That is a dredge disposal area under the jurisdiction of the Army Corps of Engineers;
(6) That is located in the vicinity of Purgatory River Canyon and Pinon Canyon, Colorado, and was acquired by the United States after December 23, 1981, to expand the Fort Carson military installation; or
(7) That is a reserve area as defined in 16 U.S.C. 715s(g)(3), which is an area of land withdrawn from the public domain and administered, either solely or primarily, by the Secretary of the Interior, through the Fish and Wildlife Service.
Local government means a unit of general local government, which can include any of the following:
(1) A county, parish, township, borough, or city, (other than in Alaska), where the city is independent of any other unit of general local government, that:
(i) Is within the class(es) of such political subdivision in a State that the Secretary of the Interior determines, in his or her discretion, to be the principal provider(s) of governmental services within the State; and
(ii) Is a unit of general local government, as determined by the Secretary of the Interior on the basis of the same principles as were used by the Secretary of Commerce on January 1, 1983, for general statistical purposes;
(2) Any area in Alaska that is within the boundaries of a census area used by the Secretary of Commerce in the decennial census, but that is not included within the boundaries of a governmental entity described under paragraph (1) of this definition; or
(3) The Governments of the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands.
Section 6904 (31 U.S.C. 6904) payments means Federal payments disbursed to local governments for acquisitions or interest in lands acquired for addition to the National Park System or National Forest Wilderness Areas.