43 CFR 4740.2 - Standards for vehicles used for transport of wild horses and burros.
(a) Use of motor vehicles for transport of wild horses or burros shall be in accordance with appropriate local, State and Federal laws and regulations applicable to the humane transportation of horses and burros, and shall include, but not be limited to, the following standards:
(1) The interior of enclosures shall be free from protrusion that could injure animals;
(2) Equipment shall be in safe conditions and of sufficient strength to withstand the rigors of transportation;
(3) Enclosures shall have ample head room to allow animals to stand normally;
(4) Enclosures for transporting two or more animals shall have partitions to separate them by age and sex as deemed necessary by the authorized officer;
(5) Floors of enclosures shall be covered with nonskid material;
(6) Enclosures shall be adequately ventilated and offer sufficient protection to animals from inclement weather and temperature extremes; and
(7) Unless otherwise approved by the authorized officer, transportation shall be limited in sequence to a maximum of 24 hours followed by a minimum of 5 hours of on-the-ground rest with adequate feed and water.
(b) The authorized officer shall not load wild horses or burros if he/she determines that the vehicle to be used for transporting the wild horses or burros is not satisfactory for that purpose.