43 CFR 8223.0-5 - Definitions.
(a)Research natural area means an area that is established and maintained for the primary purpose of research and education because the land has one or more of the following characteristics:
(1) A typical representation of a common plant or animal association;
(2) An unusual plant or animal association;
(3) A threatened or endangered plant or animal species;
(4) A typical representation of common geologic, soil, or water features; or
(5) Outstanding or unusual geologic, soil, or water features.