45 CFR § 1171.8 - Responses to requests.
(a) Acknowledgment of requests. Upon receipt of a request that will take longer than ten (10) days to process, the NEH will send the requester an acknowledgment letter that assigns the request an individualized tracking number.
(b) Grants of requests. If the NEH makes a determination to grant a request in whole or in part, it will notify the requester in writing of such determination and the reasons therefore, and the requester's right to seek assistance from NEH's FOIA Public Liaison. The NEH will inform the requester of any applicable fees and will disclose records to the requester promptly on payment of any applicable fees. The NEH will mark or annotate records disclosed in part to show the amount of information deleted pursuant to a FOIA exemption, unless doing so would harm an interest protected by an applicable FOIA exemption. If technically feasible, the NEH will also indicate, on the agency record(s) it provides, the location of the information deleted.
(c) Denials of requests. If the NEH makes a determination to deny a request in any respect, the NEH will also notify the requester in writing of:
(1) The name and title or position of the person responsible for the denial;
(2) A brief statement of the reason(s) for the denial, including any FOIA exemption applied by the NEH in denying the request;
(3) An estimate of the volume of records or information withheld, if applicable, although such an estimate is not required if the volume is otherwise indicated through deletion on the records disclosed in part, or if providing such an estimate would harm an interest protected by an applicable exemption;
(4) The requester's right to seek dispute resolution services from NEH's FOIA Public Liaison or the Office of Government Information Services; and
(5) A statement that the requester may appeal the denial under § 1171.10 and a description of the requirements to appeal.