45 CFR 1203.5 - Assurances required.
(1) An application for Federal financial assistance to which this part applies, except an application to which paragraph (d) of this section applies, and every application for Federal financial assistance to provide a facility shall, as a condition to its approval and the extension of Federal financial assistance pursuant to the application, contain or be accompanied by, assurances that the program will be conducted or the facility operated in compliance with the requirements imposed by or pursuant to this part. Every award of Federal financial assistance shall require the submission of these assurances. In the case where the Federal financial assistance is to provide or is in the form of personal property, or real property or interest therein or structures thereon, the assurances shall obligate the recipient, or, in the case of a subsequent transfer, the transferee, for the period during which the property is used for a purpose for which the Federal financial assistance is extended or for another purpose involving the provision of similar services or benefits, or for as long as the recipient retains ownership or possession of the property, whichever is longer. In other cases, the assurances obligate the recipient for the period during which the Federal financial assistance is extended to the program. In the case where the assistance is sought for the construction of a facility or part of a facility, the assurances shall extend to the entire facility and to the facilities operated in connection therewith. ACTION shall specify the form of the foregoing assurances and the extent to which like assurances will be required of subgrantees, contractors and subcontractors, transferees, successors in interest, and other participants. The assurances shall include provisions which give the United States the right to seek judicial enforcement.
(2) When Federal financial assistance is provided in the form of a transfer of real property, structures, or improvements thereon, or interest therein, from the Federal Government, the instrument effecting or recording the transfer shall contain a covenant running with the land assuring nondiscrimination for the period during which the real property is used for a purpose involving the provision of similar services or benefits. When no transfer of property of interest therein from the Federal Government is involved, but property is acquired or improved with Federal financial assistance, the recipient shall agree to include a covenant in any subsequent transfer of the property. When the property is obtained from the Federal Government, the covenant may also include a condition coupled with a right to be reserved by ACTION to revert title to the property in the event of a breach of the covenant where, in the discretion of ACTION, such a condition and right of reverter is appropriate to the statute under which the real property is obtained and to the nature of the grant and the grantee. In the event a transferee of real property proposes to mortgage or otherwise encumber the real property as security for financing construction of new, or improvement of existing, facilities on property for the purposes for which the property was transferred, ACTION may agree, on request of the transferee and if necessary to accomplish the financing, and on conditions as he deems appropriate, to subordinate a right of reversion to the lien of a mortgage or other encumbrance.
(b) Assurances from Government agencies. In the case of an application from a department, agency, or office of a State or local government for Federal financial assistance for a specified purpose, the assurance required by this section shall extend to any other department, agency, or office of the same governmental unit if the policies of the other department, agency, or office will substantially affect the project for which Federal financial assistance is requested.
(c) Assurance from academic and other institutions.
(1) In the case of an application for Federal financial assistance by an academic institution, the assurance required by this section extends to admission practices and to all other practices relating to the treatment of students.
(2) The assurance required by an academic institution, detention or correctional facility, or any other institution or facility, relating to the institution's practices with respect to admission or other treatment of individuals as students, patients, wards, inmates, persons subject to control, or clients of the institution or facility or to the opportunity to participate in the provision of services, disposition, treatment, or benefits to these individuals, is applicable to the entire institution or facility.
(d) Continuing Federal financial assistance. Every application by a State or a State agency for continuing Federal financial assistance to which this part applies (including the types of Federal financial assistance listed in Appendix A to this part) shall as a condition to its approval and the extension of Federal financial assistance pursuant to the application:
(1) Contain or be accompanied by a statement that the program is (or, in the case of a new program, will be) conducted in compliance with the requirements imposed by or pursuant to this part, and
(2) Provide or be accompanied by provision for methods of administration for the program as are found by ACTION to give reasonable guarantee that the applicant and all recipients of Federal financial assistance under the program will comply with the requirements imposed by or pursuant to this part.