45 CFR 1310.17 - Driver and bus monitor training.
(a) Each agency providing transportation services must ensure that persons employed to drive vehicles used in providing such services will have received the training required under paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section no later than 90 days after the effective date of this section as established by § 1310.2 of this part. The agency must ensure that drivers who are hired to drive vehicles used in providing transportation services after the close of the 90 day period must receive the training required under paragraphs (b) and (c) prior to transporting any child enrolled in the agency's program. The agency must further ensure that at least annually after receiving the training required under paragraphs (b) and (c), all drivers who drive vehicles used to provide such services receive the training required under paragraph (d) of this section.
(b) Drivers must receive a combination of classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel instruction sufficient to enable each driver to:
(1) operate the vehicle in a safe and efficient manner;
(2) safely run a fixed route, including loading and unloading children, stopping at railroad crossings and performing other specialized driving maneuvers;
(3) administer basic first aid in case of injury;
(4) handle emergency situations, including vehicle evacuation procedures;
(5) operate any special equipment, such as wheelchair lifts, assistance devices or special occupant restraints;
(6) conduct routine maintenance and safety checks of the vehicle; and
(7) maintain accurate records as necessary.
(c) Drivers must also receive instruction on the topics listed in 45 CFR 1304.52(k)(1), (2) and (3)(i) and the provisions of the Head Start Program Performance Standards for Children with Disabilities (45 CFR 1308) relating to transportation services for children with disabilities.
(d) Drivers must receive refresher training courses including the topics listed in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section and any additional necessary training to meet the requirements applicable in the State where the agency operates.
(e) Each agency providing transportation services must ensure that drivers who transport children receiving the services qualify under the applicable driver training requirements in its State.
(f) Each agency providing transportation services must ensure that:
(1) the annual evaluation of each driver of a vehicle used to provide such services includes an on-board observation of road performance; and
(2) before bus monitors assigned to vehicles used to provide such services begin their duties, they are trained on child boarding and exiting procedure, use of child restraint systems, any required paperwork, responses to emergencies, emergency evacuation procedures, use of special equipment, child pick-up and release procedures and pre- and post-trip vehicle check.
Title 45 published on 2014-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 45 CFR Part 1310 after this date.