45 CFR 1311.4 - Qualifications, selection, and placement.
(a) The Act specifies that an applicant must be working on the date of application in a local Head Start program or otherwise working in the field of child development and family services. The qualifications of the applicants for Head Start Fellowship positions will be competitively reviewed. The Associate Commissioner will make the final selection of the Head Start Fellows.
(b) Head Start Fellows may be placed in:
(1) The Head Start national and regional offices;
(2) Local Head Start agencies and programs;
(3) Institutions of higher education;
(4) Public or private entities and organizations concerned with services to children and families; and
(5) Other appropriate settings.
(c) A Head Start Fellow who is not an employee of a local Head Start agency or program may only be placed in the national or regional offices within the Department of Health and Human Services that administer Head Start or local Head Start agencies.
(d) Head Start Fellows shall not be placed in any agency whose primary purpose, or one of whose major purposes is to influence Federal, State or local legislation.