45 CFR § 160.204 - Process for requesting exception determinations.
(a) A request to except a provision of State law from preemption under § 160.203(a) may be submitted to the Secretary. A request by a State must be submitted through its chief elected official, or his or her designee. The request must be in writing and include the following information:
(1) The State law for which the exception is requested;
(2) The particular standard, requirement, or implementation specification for which the exception is requested;
(3) The part of the standard or other provision that will not be implemented based on the exception or the additional data to be collected based on the exception, as appropriate;
(4) How health care providers, health plans, and other entities would be affected by the exception;
(5) The reasons why the State law should not be preempted by the federal standard, requirement, or implementation specification, including how the State law meets one or more of the criteria at § 160.203(a); and
(6) Any other information the Secretary may request in order to make the determination.
(b) Requests for exception under this section must be submitted to the Secretary at an address that will be published in the Federal Register. Until the Secretary's determination is made, the standard, requirement, or implementation specification under this subchapter remains in effect.
(c) The Secretary's determination under this section will be made on the basis of the extent to which the information provided and other factors demonstrate that one or more of the criteria at § 160.203(a) has been met.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.