45 CFR § 171.102 - Definitions.
For purposes of this part:
API Information Source is defined as it is in § 170.404(c).
API User is defined as it is in § 170.404(c).
Certified API Developer is defined as it is in § 170.404(c).
Certified API technology is defined as it is in § 170.404(c).
Electronic health information (EHI) means electronic protected health information as defined in 45 CFR 160.103 to the extent that it would be included in a designated record set as defined in 45 CFR 164.501, regardless of whether the group of records are used or maintained by or for a covered entity as defined in 45 CFR 160.103, but EHI shall not include:
(1) Psychotherapy notes as defined in 45 CFR 164.501; or
(2) Information compiled in reasonable anticipation of, or for use in, a civil, criminal, or administrative action or proceeding.
Exchange means the ability for electronic health information to be transmitted between and among different technologies, systems, platforms, or networks.
Fee means any present or future obligation to pay money or provide any other thing of value.
Health care provider has the same meaning as “health care provider” in 42 U.S.C. 300jj.
Health information network or health information exchange means an individual or entity that determines, controls, or has the discretion to administer any requirement, policy, or agreement that permits, enables, or requires the use of any technology or services for access, exchange, or use of electronic health information:
(1) Among more than two unaffiliated individuals or entities (other than the individual or entity to which this definition might apply) that are enabled to exchange with each other; and
(2) That is for a treatment, payment, or health care operations purpose, as such terms are defined in 45 CFR 164.501 regardless of whether such individuals or entities are subject to the requirements of 45 CFR parts 160 and 164.
Health IT developer of certified health IT means an individual or entity, other than a health care provider that self-develops health IT for its own use, that develops or offers health information technology (as that term is defined in 42 U.S.C. 300jj(5)) and which has, at the time it engages in a practice that is the subject of an information blocking claim, one or more Health IT Modules certified under a program for the voluntary certification of health information technology that is kept or recognized by the National Coordinator pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 300jj-11(c)(5) (ONC Health IT Certification Program).
Information blocking is defined as it is in § 171.103.
Interfere with or interference means to prevent, materially discourage, or otherwise inhibit.
Interoperability element means hardware, software, integrated technologies or related licenses, technical information, privileges, rights, intellectual property, upgrades, or services that:
(2) Is/Are controlled by the actor, which includes the ability to confer all rights and authorizations necessary to use the element to enable the access, exchange, or use of electronic health information.
Person is defined as it is in 45 CFR 160.103.
Practice means an act or omission by an actor.