45 CFR 2526.10 - Who is eligible to receive an education award from the National Service Trust?
(a)General. An individual is eligible to receive an education award from the National Service Trust if the organization responsible for the individual's supervision in a national service program certifies that the individual -
(1) Met the applicable eligibility requirements for the approved AmeriCorps position, approved Silver Scholar position, or approved Summer of Service position, as appropriate, in which the individual served;
(ii) For a partial AmeriCorps education award, completed at least 15 percent of the originally-approved term of service, and performed satisfactorily prior to being granted a release for compelling personal circumstances consistent with § 2522.230(a);
(3) Is a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States.
(b)High school diploma or equivalent. To use an education award, an individual must -
(1) Have received a high school diploma or its equivalent; or
(2) Be enrolled at an institution of higher education on the basis of meeting the standard described in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (a) of section 484 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 ( 20 U.S.C. 1091) and meet the requirements of subsection of section 484; or
(3) Have received a waiver described in § 2522.200(b) of this chapter.
(c)Written declaration regarding high school diploma sufficient for disbursement. For purposes of disbursing an education award, if an individual provides a written declaration under penalty of law that he or she meets the requirements in paragraph (b) of this section relating to high school education, no additional documentation is needed.
(e)Penalties for false information. Any individual who makes a materially false statement or representation in connection with the approval or disbursement of an education award or other payment from the National Service Trust may be liable for the recovery of funds and subject to civil and criminal sanctions.