45 CFR 304.40 - Repayment of Federal funds by installments.
(a)Basic conditions. When a State has been reimbursed Federal funds for expenditures claimed under title IV-D, which is later determined to be unallowable for Federal financial participation, the State may make repayment of such Federal funds in installments provided:
(b)Criteria governing installment repayments.
(1) The number of quarters over which the repayment of the total unallowable expenditures will be made will be determined by the percentage the total of such repayment is of the estimated State share of the annual expenditures for the IV-D program as follows:
|Total repayment amount as percentage of State share of annual expenditures for the IV-D program||Number of quarters to make repayment|
|2.5 percent or less||1|
|Greater than 2.5, but not greater than 5||2|
|Greater than 5, but not greater than 7.5||3|
|Greater than 7.5, but not greater than 10||4|
|Greater than 10, but not greater than 15||5|
|Greater than 15, but not greater than 20||6|
|Greater than 20, but not greater than 25||7|
|Greater than 25, but not greater than 30||8|
|Greater than 30, but not greater than 47.5||9|
|Greater than 47.5, but not greater than 65||10|
|Greater than 65, but not greater than 82.5||11|
|Greater than 82.5, but not greater than 100||12|
|For each of the following quarters||Repayment installment may not be less than these percentages|
|1 to 4||2.5|
|5 to 8||5.0|
|9 to 12||17.5|
(2) The latest required financial reports submitted by the State shall be used to estimatethe State's share of annual expenditures for the IV-D program. That estimated share shall be the sum of the State's share of the estimates for four quarters, beginning with the quarter in which the first installment is to be paid.
(3) In case of termination of the program, the actual State share - rather than the estimate - shall be used for determining whether the amount of the repayment exceeds 2 1/2 percent of the annual State share for the IV-D program. The annual State share in these cases will be determined using payments computable for Federal funding as reported for the program by the State on its Quarterly Report of Expenditures and Estimates submitted for the last four quarters preceding the date on which the program was terminated.
(4) Repayment shall be accomplished through adjustment in the quarterly grants over the period covered by the repayment schedule.
(5) The amount of the repayment for purpose of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section may not include any amount previously approved for installment repayment.
(6) The repayment schedule may be extended beyond 12 quarterly installments if the total repayment amount exceeds 100% of the estimated State share of annual expenditures.
(7) The amount of a retroactive claim to be paid a State will be offset against any amounts to be, or already being, repaid by the State in installments, under the same title of the Social Security Act. Under this provision the State may choose to:
(i) Suspend payments until the retroactive claim due the State has, in fact, been offset; or
(ii) Continue payments until the reduced amount of its debt (remaining after the offset), has been paid in full. This second option would result in a shorter payment period.