45 CFR 708.5 - Notice.
(a) Deductions shall not be made unless the employee who owes the debt has been provided with written notice signed by the Deputy Staff Director or in his or her absence, or in the event of a vacancy in that position or its elimination, the Director of Human Resources (or the U.S. Department of Agriculture, National Finance Center acting on behalf of the Commission) of the debt at least 30 days before salary offset commences.
(1) A statement that the debt is owed and an explanation of its origin, nature, and amount;
(3) The amount, frequency, proposed beginning date, and duration of the intended deduction(s);
(4) An explanation of the requirements concerning the current interest rate, penalties, and administrative costs, including a statement that such charges will be assessed unless excused in accordance with the Federal Claims Collections Standards (4 CFR chapter I);
(7) The right to a hearing conducted by an impartial hearing official (either an administrative law judge or an official who is not under the control of the Commission);
(8) The method and time period for petitioning for a hearing;
(9) A statement that the timely filing (i.e., within 15 calendar days) of a petition for a hearing will stay the commencement of collection proceedings;
(10) A statement that a final decision on the hearing (if one is requested) will be issued at the earliest practical date but not later than 60 days after the filing of the petition requesting the hearing unless the employee requests and the hearing official grants a delay in the proceedings.
(11) A statement that an employee knowingly submitting false or frivolous statements (5 CFR 550.1101), representations, or evidence may subject the employee to disciplinary procedures under 5 U.S.C. 7501 et seq. and 5 CFR part 752; penalties under the False Claims Act, 31 U.S.C. 3729-3731; or criminal penalties under 18 U.S.C. 286, 287, 1001, and 1002;
(12) A statement of other rights and remedies available to the employee under statutes or regulations governing the program for which the collection is being made;
(13) A statement that an employee will be promptly refunded any amount paid or deducted for a debt that is later waived or found not valid unless there are applicable contractual or statutory provisions to the contrary; and
(14) The name, address, and phone number of an official who can be contacted concerning the indebtedness.